When I set out to make a shawl for my sister I knew it had to be something warm. Most of the patterns I found were elegant and lacy. Lace is beautiful, but I was looking for something without lots of holes. I considered just making a blanket, but because she’s a small person who is always active the thought of making her something she’d have to sit under didn’t seem right either. It would be like stuffing a caffeinated squirrel into a pillow case and then watching it try to collect nuts. Finally I decided to just “wing it” and make something up on my own. I did put some lace down towards to edges just to lighten up the pattern a little.
The unfortunate color variations between dye lots left a glaring and hideous line that not only interrupted the pattern, but made the shawl look down right silly. The obvious solution was to dye it a dark color, in this case black. Here’s the before color(s)
Here are some pictures of the blocking process (I needed more room than I’d planned for).
Bonny has already given it her Kitty-Ass Stamp of Approval, which is always the final step in finishing anything at our house. The shawl has been placed into the Christmas box. My sister hates computers with the fire of a thousand suns so I’ve no worries of her accidentally seeing this.
If I were to make another I’d continue the columns throughout the entire length of the pattern and forego the reverse stockingnet areas with the pattern. I might also make the edge lace longer. Cheers!